Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Great Eggscape

Everyone who follows my blog knows just how tickled pink I am when I get eggs. Yes, I know, I get them every day and the eggcitement should have worn off by now. Well, It hasn't.

I was so excited about getting my ducks enough eggs for them to set on. Yesterday there were 4 wonderful eggs in the nest by the end of the day. Today there are only 2 in there and there should be between 5 and 7. 

I was curious about it most of the day.

Tonight as we went for a drive there was a copperhead in the road. My husband does the justly thing, of course, and runs over it. A mile or so down the road we see a rattlesnake in the middle of the road that someone else had already run over.

It then dawns on me that the temps have been cooler at night, the snakes are on the move for warm, comfortable places that will also afford them a nice meal.

I believe they found my eggs. Especially since we have found 2 rat snakes in our home this summer. 

I am not completely sure how ducks work as this is my first time with them so I am going to have to do some extended research but the ducks are rarely in the nest where the eggs are so I can't imagine one of them eating them. Tomorrow I am certain I will be finding some information to figure out if ducks, like chickens, on occasion, will eat their own eggs. 

Heading out on an egg search to make sure the other eggs weren't hidden in a strategic place for me to find.
Wish me luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment