Monday, August 13, 2012

The Measure Of A Goat (Photos)

Ahhh, the heat of summer and building goat fences. They are not something that I like going hand in hand...however, when you own a farm, especially a small one and must do the labor itself, it just has to be done when it needs to be done.

Morgan, my husband, Dakota, my son, and Melissa, my daughter, fenced the back part of our acerage this afternoon so that the goats could get out of their pen and enjoy the grass, weeds, and brush that have grown there over the last year or so.

This will allow Choco to range with the two bigger goats. Choco, a Buck Boar that we got and bottle fed, is still small for his age. He is adorable and loves interaction with others. He follows me around when he is out of his pen and if I bend down he will give me kisses.

Choco enjoys hanging out on the front steps.


Charleston, calm on his ride home from Lawton when we bought him, was a little testy upon trying to get him out of the Yukon.


Morgan was finally able to help Charleston to understand he needed to get out of the Yukon.


Charleston didn't really care for me touching him when we first got home.


Daisy Mae (left) and Charleston (right) are pretty good buddies now. They do most everything together. They should be out in their new fence this evening and enjoying lots of grass and weeds.


There is always so much to do when you own a small farm. The job is certainly hands on. I enjoy every minute of it and just love the fact that my animals enjoy seeing me on a daily basis. They have become parts of my family and I never realized how fond of them I would become.

My goats, like my chickens, just need someone to take care of them. They don't ask for much. Food, water, a place to sleep, and a big ole open heart. I never would have dreamed that a goat would show love, teach patience, demonstrate compassion.....however, mine do (and I am sure mine aren't the only ones that do). Something happens when a person opens their hearts to allow animals. Lessons are learned that may have never been learned any other way. I just think it is amazing.




0 comments:

Post a Comment